In the world of art and, more widely, in the creative industries, social media is a powerful tool for showcasing artworks, connecting with your ideal audience, and building your brand. However, with the ubiquity and abundance of content on social media, it can be challenging to stand out from the crowd. Creating an aesthetically striking social media presence is crucial for art companies and visual artists who want to succeed in the digital space. Find your unique visual approach to make your social media presence shine. Turn your feed into a work of art.
Visual branding is the process of establishing a consistent and memorable visual identity for your brand or artwork. This includes everything from your logo and colour scheme to the types of images and videos you post on social media. Once you develop a strong visual brand, you can communicate your unique style, values, and personality to your audience and differentiate yourself from competitors.
To craft a visually stunning social media presence, it’s important to find your unique visual approach. This means developing a consistent style that reflects your brand or artwork and resonates with your audience. Whether you choose a minimalist or maximalist approach, a bright or muted colour palette, or a specific type of imagery or video style, consistency is key. Having a cohesive visual identity across all your social media channels means you can build brand recognition and establish a strong, memorable presence in the minds of your followers.
Don’t neglect the importance of all visual aspects in your social media strategy. They have to be harmoniously intertwined if you want to achieve the best results and boost engagement on your channels. Whilst composing effective, creative text is important, visuals are an equally decisive element of your marketing strategy.
- Carefully pick your signature brand colour palette, font pairings, and layouts and use them consistently on all social media channels when you produce visuals that reflect your brand identity. Using a consistent brand colour palette, font pairings, and layouts can significantly help establish brand recognition and enhance the overall visual aesthetics of your social media presence. When picking a signature brand colour palette, it is essential to consider the emotions that each colour can evoke and the meaning that it represents. Choose colours that complement your brand identity and create a unique visual experience for your audience.
In addition to colours, font pairings can also have a significant impact on the visual identity of your brand. Select a font that best represents your brand image, and pair it with a complementary font that enhances its readability and appeal. Your chosen fonts should be consistent throughout all of your social media visuals and reflect your brand’s personality. Designing templates with pre-set font choices can help ensure consistency and save time when creating new social media visuals. When it comes to layouts, it’s essential to have a consistent structure across all your social media platforms. Stick to a design layout that is clear and visually appealing, and works well with your brand’s overall style.
- Make sure your feed flows harmoniously. All types of content have to work together to keep your feed flowing. Maintaining a cohesive aesthetic across your social media platforms is beneficial when it comes to brand building and establishing a strong online presence. Even if you go through a thematic change or aesthetic shift, it’s important to ensure that your feed still flows. This can be achieved by curating and arranging artworks and photographs in a way that complements your brand’s overall aesthetic, and by creating graphics that contribute to the seamless look of your feed. This is essential on a visual platform such as Instagram, where the aesthetic of your feed is critical for success due to the grid layout of profiles.
The use of consistent visual elements and colour schemes across your content helps your audience easily recognise your brand and understand your style. As a result, it creates a sense of familiarity and trust with your followers, making it more likely for them to engage with your content. Consistency also ensures that your feed looks organised and visually appealing, encouraging visitors to stay longer and explore your content further. With a harmonious and visually consistent feed, your followers are more likely to return, engage with your content and convert into loyal customers.
- Curating and organising your imagery in advance is an essential part of a successful social media strategy. Before posting, it is recommended to have a clear idea of the content you will be sharing for the upcoming days, weeks or months. This approach helps to maintain consistency in visual branding and ensures that the aesthetic is in harmony with the overall brand message. A great way to accomplish this is by creating collages or mood boards that represent the mood and style of each post or group of posts. There are also many apps, like Preview App, that can help you organise your social media content, making it easier to visualise and plan out a harmonious Instagram feed.
By content batching and organising your imagery in advance, you can also save time and avoid the stress of generating content on the spot. You can plan out the content and work on it when you have more time or inspiration strikes, allowing you to take a step back from the day-to-day pressure of content creation. With your social media templates and mood boards by your side, you will have a clearer understanding and reminder of the message you want to convey, and you will be able to develop your content more efficiently. This approach will help you stay ahead of the game, providing a sense of control and a consistent flow of content, ultimately boosting engagement and growing your audience.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of all visual elements to enhance the presentation of your artwork and construct a coherent, recognisable visual brand identity. Working in the arts means you already have great visual content available. However, even if the body of work produced or promoted consists mainly of traditional artworks – e.g. paintings, leverage the power of impactful design and impressive photography, and don’t neglect the importance of interweaving them effectively. While the focus on art is the main goal, creating an impactful visual identity for your social media channels is crucial for reaching a wider audience and establishing your brand. The design and photography used to showcase them can make a big difference in the engagement and recognition of your brand.
Eye-catching design can help to craft an integrated brand identity and enhance the perception of your artwork. Think about how you can utilise design elements such as colour, texture, and layout to make your social media posts stand out. For example, you could create a visually striking template for your Instagram stories that incorporates your signature brand colours and font pairings. This can help to establish a consistent look and feel across your social media channels, making your content more recognisable to your audience.
Moreover, photography is a vital aspect of showcasing your artwork on social media channels. While the quality of the artwork is the focus, high-quality photographs can help to enhance the presentation of the work and showcase it in the best possible light. Investing in professional photography or learning how to take high-quality photos yourself can make a big difference in the impact of your social media posts, whilst doing justice to your artwork.
- Create mood boards. Mood boards can be a powerful tool in helping you shape a cohesive and visually engaging social media presence. They are essentially a collage of images, colours, and typography that reflect the look and feel you want to convey in your social media posts. Assembling a mood board can help you visualise different concepts that align with your brand’s identity, as well as developing a consistent aesthetic that will be recognisable to your followers.
When composing a mood board for your social media, consider the style and tone of your brand. What kind of emotions do you want to evoke in your audience? What colours, fonts, and imagery represent your brand identity? A mood board can help you answer these questions and provide inspiration for your editorial calendar. You can use them to plan out the overall atmosphere of your upcoming posts, ensuring that imagery flows and aligns with your brand’s aesthetic. By having a clear vision for your social media presence, you can make a more powerful impact on your audience, and increase your engagement and brand recognition.
- Create social media templates. By having a library of templates that you can easily edit and customise as needed, you can streamline your social media content creation process and save time. When you are regularly posting on social media, it can become challenging to come up with new content ideas, especially when you want to maintain a consistent visual identity. Drafting templates for different categories of posts, such as promotional posts, inspirational posts, and behind-the-scenes posts, can help you maintain a consistent aesthetic while also saving you time.
By preparing templates, you can ensure that your posts have a consistent look and feel. This can be achieved by incorporating your brand colours, fonts, and other visual elements that you have established as part of your brand identity. Using templates can also help ensure that each post is optimised for the social media platform it’s being posted on. For instance, Instagram templates should be optimised to fit the square format, while Pinterest posts should be optimised for a vertical orientation.
- Optimise your imagery for each social media channel. This is an important aspect of your visual strategy because different platforms have specific image requirements and limitations. For example, Instagram favours square or vertical images, whereas Twitter and Facebook tend to use horizontal images. Due to Instagram’s layout, horizontal images get less space in the feed, whilst vertical images are using the most space, thus being more effective in capturing your followers’ attention, especially if they are scrolling through their feed quickly. Each platform has its own size and resolution requirements for images, which can affect how the image appears on a user’s feed.
To optimise your imagery for each platform, start by understanding the image requirements and limitations for each platform. This includes things like image size, resolution, aspect ratio, and file format. Once you know the requirements, you can tailor your images to fit each platform, which can help your content look more polished and professional.
Another way to optimise your imagery is to use platform-specific features. For example, Twitter allows you to add alt text to images, which can improve accessibility and searchability.
In addition to technical considerations, it’s also important to consider the audience on each platform and tailor your imagery accordingly. For example, Instagram tends to have a younger, more visually oriented audience, whereas LinkedIn has a more professional audience that may respond better to more traditional imagery.
- Save all your aesthetic resources in one place. Keeping all your aesthetic resources in one place can save you time and energy in the long run. It allows you to easily reference them when creating new content and ensure that your visual branding remains consistent and cohesive across all your social media channels. This means storing all your brand assets, such as your logo, colour palette, font choices, and any graphic templates, in a central location where you can easily access them whenever you need them.
- Create a brand style guide – a document that outlines all the visual elements of your brand and how they should be used in different contexts. Your style guide should include your brand’s colour scheme and colour codes, fonts, logo, editing apps, filters, photography guideline, templates, and any other design elements that make your brand unique. You can also include guidelines for how to use these elements in different types of content, such as social media posts, email marketing campaigns, and website design.
- Define and maintain a consistent aesthetic for your feed. Make sure it aligns with your brand voice and identity, and resonates with your target audience. Going through thematic changes is fine, as long as the overall aesthetic is consistent. What feeling do you want your page to evoke? Write down a few key words on your mood board. What kind of aesthetic resonates with your brand, content, and art?
Visual branding is a crucial element of any successful social media strategy for art companies and visual artists. To make your social media presence stand out, you need to develop a unique visual approach that is consistent across all channels. This means sticking to a signature colour scheme, fonts, photographic style, and graphics style.
From your avatar to your social media posts, consistency is key. When selecting your avatar, cover image, and typography, ensure that they are aligned with your brand identity and are consistent across different channels. Your feed is the first impression potential customers will have of your brand, so it needs to be impactful and attention-grabbing. With the decreasing attention spans of social media users, you only have a few seconds to capture people’s attention. A unique visual approach will make your audience instantly recognise your account on their feeds.
To create a cohesive visual aesthetic, you need to analyse your existing posts and identify your brand style. Is it time for a change? Perhaps you should consider visual rebranding and revamping your feed to reflect any changes in your brand identity. Design striking social media graphics that reflect your brand identity in concise, inspiring, and impactful ways. Alternate them with artworks based on vibe and aesthetic.
A congruous visual identity has numerous benefits. For one, engagement improves as your audience will be drawn to the consistency and uniqueness of your visual approach. Additionally, brand recognition increases, as a consistent visual identity builds trust and connection with your audience. Ensuring that your grid is cohesive, consistent, and flowing is crucial for creating a lasting impression on your audience.
Visual branding is a critical aspect of social media marketing for art companies and visual artists. Once you find your unique visual approach and develop a consistent visual identity, you will be more likely to stand out from the crowd, boost engagement, and build a strong brand presence on social media. Don’t neglect the importance of visual aspects in your social media strategy – turn your feed into a work of art and let your creativity shine.
Once you incorporate these visual branding tips into your social media strategy in the arts, you can build a visually stunning and impactful social media presence that captures your audience’s attention, builds your brand identity, conveys your message in memorable ways, and promotes your art effectively.
Follow me on Instagram at @dianamarindigital to keep up to date with my social media tips for the art world:
One thought on “Visual Branding Tips for Social Media in the Arts”